- Politics as Performance: A Social History of the Telugu Cinema. Permanent Black, Ranikhet, 2013 (forthcoming).- Megastar: Chiranjeevi and Telugu Cinema After N.T. Rama Rao. Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2009.
- “Whistling Fans: Reflections on the Sociology, Politics and Performativity of an Excessively Active Audience.” In Ravi Sundaram (ed.) No Limits: Media Studies from India. Oxford University Press, New Delhi, 2013 (forthcoming).
- “Representing Asia: Indian Cinema from Bruce Lee to Chandni Chowk to China.” Proceedings of the international conference on Orient on Orient. Published by the Slavic Research Centre, Hokkaido University, Sapporo, 2013. Stable URL: http://src-h.slav.hokudai.ac.jp/rp/publications/no13/13_1-3_Srinivas.pdf.
- “Three-Town Revolution: Implications of
Cinema’s Politics for the Study of Urban Spaces.” Economic and Political Weekly, vol. xlvi, no. 50, December 10, 2011. pp.
- “Making of a Peasant Industry: Telugu Cinema in the 1930s–1950s.” BioScope: South Asian Screen Studies [ISSN: 0974-9276], vol.1, no. 2, July 2010. pp. 169-188.
- ‘Film Market and the Telugu Nation.’ Lensight:
A Bi-Lingual Journal of Film and Media. Vol. 1, Issue 1, March-September
2009. pp. 24-34.
Lectures and Talks
-“After the Newspaper Revolution: Masses, Media and Politics in South India.” Public lecture organized by the Mario Einaudi Centre for International Studies, South Asia Programme, Cornell University, Ithaca. 1st April 2013.
-“In the Name of God and Gandhi.” Public lecture organized by the Mahatma Gandhi Centre for Global Nonviolence, James Madison University, Harrisonburg. 20th February 2013.
-“Screen Gods of the Telugu Country.” Public lecture organized as a part of the South Asian Studies Department Colloquia series, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia. 24th January 2013.
- ‘Rendering the Goddess Mobile: Devotional Film in
the 1990s.’ Public lecture organized by The Gallatin School of Individualized
Society, the Department of Cinema Studies and the Centre for Media, Culture and
History, New York University, April 22, 2010.
- ‘Mythological Speech: Cinema and the Affective Foundations of Mass Mobilization in South India.’ Public lecture at the Spring 2010 South Asia Seminar Series on Media and Postcolonial Culture in India, organized by the South Asia Institute and Department of Radio, Television and Film, University of Texas, Austin, April 15, 2010
- ‘Media and Society.’ Lecture delivered to the participants of the orientation course at the Academic Staff College, University of Hyderabad, 10th September 2009.
- Nishant Shah, ‘The Technosocial Subject: The City, The Cyberspace and the Citizen-Subject (Completed, 2013).
- T. Vishnu Vardhan, Telugu Mythological as a Cultural Form (ongoing)
- Zainab Bawa , Urban Economy and Politics (ongoing).
- Kanthi Krishnamurthy, Changing Contours of Spirituality in Contemporary India
Conferences/Workshops/Seminars/Lecture Series Organized:
First Meeting of the Research Cluster on Cultural and Creative Industries in Asia, Bangalore, 3rd and 4th August 2012. Supported by Japan Foundation, New Delhi.
International Conference on Comparative Aspects of Religion and Culture: India, Russia, China. Bangalore, 15th and 16th September 2011. Jointly organized by Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore and Slavic Research Centre, Hokkaido University, Hokkaido.
International Conference on Asian Culture Industries: A Comparative Study of India, Japan and South Korea, Bangalore, 21st and 22nd December 2010. Supported by Japan Foundation, Delhi.
International Conference of Asian Cultural Stakeholders titled, “CultureAsia 2008.” Infosys Campus, Bangalore 12th – 14th December 2008. Supported by Hivos, The Hague and Open Society Institute, Budapest.
Culture and Democracy Lecture Series 2007, Bangalore. A series of 5 public lectures organized on behalf of Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore between October 2007 to January 2007. Video recordings of lectures available on <www.cscs.blip.tv>.
Consultation on Culture Industries, Cultural Diversity and Cultural Policy in the Time of Globalization, Bangalore, 28th-29th September 2007. Supported by Hivos, Bangalore.
Seminar on Asian Stars: Markets, Politics and Sex Appeal, Centre for the Study of Culture and Society, Bangalore, 19th April 2007.
International conference on Asian Cinema: Towards a Research and Pedagogic Agenda, Bangalore, 2nd – 4th February 2007. Supported by Japan Foundation, New Delhi.
Other Programme Work:
- Project end review of ‘Reskilling Handloom
Weavers—Exploring Methodology for Local Training and Resource Centres in
Handloom Sector.’ Implemented by Dastkar Andhra, Secunderabad for Sir Ratan
Tata Trust, October 2009. Co-authored with Radhika P and T. Vishnu Vardhan
- Project end review of ‘Museum of Memories.’ Implemented by Jatan Public Charitable Trust, Pipariya for SRTT, October 2009.
Students of Ph.D. Cultural Studies at CSCS: Courses offered: Cinema and democracy in India (2001), Theorizing Mass Culture: Revisiting the Frankfurt School (2002, with Ashish Rajadhyaksha), Theories of Mass Culture (2003), Mass Culture and the Public Sphere (2004) Culture and Democracy (2003 and in 2004, one module out of five), Writing Seminar (2005), Culture and Democracy (2007), Culture and Democracy (with Sitharamam Kakarala, 2008), Culture Industry: Value and Meaning (with Radhika P, 2009), Writing Seminar (2010), Stars at Work (2011-12).
Undergraduate students: Designed and taught Certificate Course in Cultural Analysis to undergraduate students (2001, 2002 with colleagues from Centre for the Study of Culture and Society). Designed and supervised the teaching of the Certificate Course in Film Studies (2004). Coordinated and also taught part of the two papers of Undergraduate Diploma in Cultural Studies: Understanding Cultural Studies and Rethinking Media Laws (2005).