How do I upload new material to the site?
Please make sure that you have the necessary permissions to upload new material to the CSCS courses. Go to the Comprehensive Reading Database (CRD). The CRD consists of four different sections: Text archives, moving images archives, still picture archives and sound archives. Please select the data type of your material and enter the required folder. CSCS has standardized the nature of data that you can upload and make sure that your material is compliant to the standards. Your text material needs to be in a .pdf format. Your moving images material needs to be in a .mpeg format. Your pictures or still images need to be in a .gif format. Your sound material needs to be in a .mp3 format. Please ensure that your material is suitably formatted.
Once you have reached the folder where you need to upload your material, do the following:
- Please ensure that you are not duplicating the material that already exists in the database.
- Click on the tab below the navigation bar marked ADD. You will have a drop down menu that allows you to add different data.
- Select DOCUMENT for text files, PICTURE for still images, and FILE for moving images and sound documents.
- You will now have a new page opening which will ask you for the metadata of the information. Please fill in an eight digit code without any special characters in it. The eight digit code generally includes the name of the author/essay and the course title number.
- Please enter a name for the file. This is the name that will appear on the web browser panel when the file is accessed.
- Please enter the small description or abstract for the file – This is what appears before one starts downloading the file and makes browsing and downloading options easy.
- If you have data which needs to be typed in, please use the text box for the content. Otherwise, go down, select STRUCTURED TEXT as your text format.
- Click on BROWSE. A new browse pop-up will appear on your screen and allow you to navigate to where the file you want to upload resides. Double click the file.
- You will see the local URL for the file in the BROWSE box. Click on UPLOAD.
- Depending on the size of the file and the speed of your connection, uploading can take a long time, up to fifteen minutes. The upload size limit is currently set to 25 MB and you will not be able to upload material larger than that in the same instance. Once your file is uploaded, you will see a new page which shows the description of the file and the link to downloading the file.
- Please make sure that the link works and that your file is in the shape and format you want it to be in.
- On the right hand side of your tab-bar, please change the STATE of the document and select PUBLISH. The file will not be publicly accessible till you make it into a publish state.
- If due to some reasons, the file does not appear to be in order, please repeat the process.
- In case of any problems, please contact the email@example.com